Friday 1 November 2013

Oncology Rotation

I finished up my first unit rotation at the end of August and it was a perfect way to start the New Graduate Program. My preceptor and I grew to enjoy working together and I learned a lot from him-including the the most efficient way to chart (which in nursing is 85% of your job). If you can learn efficient charting strategies than you are on your way to being a damn good nurse by most standards. Another positive point about my preceptor is that he took the time to find learning opportunities. You have to remember that whatever orientation period you have, you should use it to the fullest to learn. Ask the other nurses on your units if they have any interesting cases with wounds, ostomies, chemo medications or special treatments. Try to find something that you have not done before and ask if you can assist or watch in order to learn before you're on your own and expected to do it independently.

My favorite part of working on the oncology floor was perfecting my nurse-patient relationships. Death and dying is not my strongpoint. I'm still emotionally upset about the fact that Nemo's mom dies in Finding Nemo. However, my patients on the oncology unit taught me important steps about dealing with death or suffering. First of all-remind yourself that the patient you are caring for could be your mother, best friend or you someday. How do you want to be treated? How would you want your nurse to preserve your dignity? We're talking about patients who might still have complete capability to think and process information the way you and I do. Yet their sickness might have taken their ability to speak, move or eat. That can make a person feel incredibly depressed and not to mention undignified. I make this a focal point when I am completing any tasks with these patients. Even if I am only assisting in changing their bedding I try to talk to the patient as if they can understand every word I'm saying. When they make an effort to speak to me and I do not understand them I don't pretend to know what they're saying. I keep making statements until I know more about what it is they want to say. I play charades a lot to act out specifics with my patients (I have a background in theatre). Also, when all else fails I put a pen in my patients hand and put it up to a piece of paper.

The most important thing I've learned from working in theatre, with children and on the oncology floor is the power of touch. As nurses we spend so much time assessing, counting, passing medications and reviewing labs or charting that we forget how much power we have in our hands. The simple action of holding your patients hand (with gloves on if you're a germaphobe like me) can speak volumes to them. I have seen patients in extreme agony and experiencing agitation relax when I hold their hand or place my hand on their shoulder. Often I find my patients seeking out my hand when I walk into a room. Imagine being in and out of consciousness from medications and your sickness but the one thing you can count on is the touch of your nurse. That hand that you place in a patients might be the only "real" thing they can count on while they are dealing with suffering and death. Don't be afraid to touch your patients (appropriately!). I always ask my patients or assess for a reaction when I hold their hand. My hospital also offers basic teachings in Healing Touch therapy. I have seen such a difference in the patients who are hurting, depressed or restless by simply holding their hand. I know that we don't have time and we have so many other things to do. I'm not saying you have to hold someones hand for an hour. Give your patient two minutes. I can't describe every emotion that the patient or you will experience from this action. All I can say is to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment